It is in this logic of universalism that, naturally, the Lagide power seeks to enrich the library of books of the Jewish people. As he enriched it with the books of all peoples involved in the world opened by Alexander as the Egyptian people or the Indian people. However, only the Greek language can be used, as the only practiced by the masters of the Lagide Empire.
- King  Ptolemy (II Philadelphe) to High Priest Eleazar, health and safety. Given that a considerable number of Jews live on our territory, expelled from Jerusalem by the Persians at the time of their domination. That he then arrived in Egypt again with my father, as prisoners of war, he places many in the army with high pay. Similarly, as he knew the fidelity of those who were already in the country, he established garrisons and entrusted them with them, to keep the Egyptian people in their care. As for us who succeed him, we make the most friendly advances to all, but especially to your compatriots. We have surrendered to liberty more than a hundred thousand, who were prisoners of war, by paying to their master a just indemnity (this episode is detailed upstream in the letter) pecuniary, applying ourselves to repair all the damages which could have been come from the popular passions, conscious of doing this holy work, with consecration of an offering to the very great God, who has preserved our kingdom in peace with the greatest glory in the whole world. Thus we have placed in the ranks of the army those who are in the prime of life, when to those who had aptitudes even for our personal service and deserved to be entrusted to the Court we put them at the head of some services. Eager to please them, and to all the Jews of the earth and their descendants, we have decided to have your law translated from what you call the Hebrew text into the Greek language, to have these books also in our library, with the other books of the King. Under these conditions, you would do well and you would respond to our concern, by choosing men of exemplary life, Elders versed in the knowledge of their Law, able to make a translation, six from each tribe, to find a text that represents the agreement of the majority, given the importance of research. As well, we believe that once accomplished, this work will do us great honor.
(extract of the psalm 33 associated to this generation, verses 1 to 5 )
- Sing praises to the Lord, O you righteous; for the upright, praise is fitting.
- Give thanks to the Lord with a harp; with a lyre of ten melodies make music to Him.
- Sing to Him a new song; play well with joyful shouting.
- For the word of the Lord is upright, and all his deeds are with faith.
- He loves charity and justice; the earth is full of the Lord’s kindness.
(extract of the psalm 33 associated to this generation, verses 6 to 9 )
- By the word of the Lord, the heavens were made, and with the breath of His mouth, all their host.
- He gathers in the water of the sea as a mound; He puts the deeps into treasuries.
- Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
- For He said and it came about; He commanded and it endured.
(extract of the psalm 33 associated to this generation, verses 10 to 17 )
- The Lord frustrated the counsel of nations; He put the plans of peoples to nought.
- The counsel of the Lord shall endure forever; the plans of His heart to all generations.
- Praiseworthy is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people that He chose as His inheritance.
- The Lord looked from heaven; He saw all the sons of men.
- From His dwelling place He oversees all the inhabitants of the earth.
- He Who forms their hearts together, Who understands all their deeds
- The king is not saved with a vast army; a mighty man will not be rescued with great strength.
- A horse is a false hope for victory, and with his power, he will not escape.
 « The letter from Aristée to Philocrate » following the French translation by André Pelletier (Éditions du Cerf). (French: « La lettre d’Aristée à Philocrate » suivant la traduction d’André Pelletier (Éditions du Cerf). Versets 35 à 39 ).