A period of peace and understanding between Rome and the new power, especially represented by Antipater, is established in Judea. The walls of Jerusalem are rebuilt. Antipater appoints his sons Phazael and future king Herod as governors of Jerusalem and Galilee.
Herod, with the help of his brother Phazael, gradually takes control of Judea by arranging his covenants with both Rome, the ruling power, and Hyrcanus, the religious power, and arrives triumphantly at Jerusalem.
(extract of the psalm 45 associated to this generation, verses 1 to 7 )
- For the conductor on shoshannim, of the sons of Korah, a maskil a song of loves.
- My heart is astir with a good theme; I say, « My works are for a king; my tongue is a pen of an expert scribe. »
- You are more handsome than [other] men; charm is poured into your lips. Therefore, God blessed you forever.
- Gird a sword on your thigh, O mighty one, your majesty and your glory.
- And your glory is that you will pass and ride for the sake of truth and righteous humility, and it shall instruct you so that your right hand shall perform awesome things.
- Your arrows are sharpened, nations shall fall under you, in the heart of the king’s enemies.
- Your throne, O judge, [will exist] forever and ever; the scepter of equity is the scepter of your kingdom.
(extract of the psalm 45 associated to this generation, verses 8 and 9 )
- You loved righteousness and you hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, anointed you with oil of joy from among your peers.
- Myrrh and aloes and cassia are all your garments; more than ivory palaces, those that are Mine will cause you to rejoice.
Mariamne thus remedies the problems related to the birth of Herod (he would not be of royal lineage but from a family of converts), a defect used by his detractors.
(extract of the psalm 45 associated to this generation, verses 10 to 12 )
- The daughters of kings will visit you; the queen will stand at your right [bedecked] with golden jewelry from Ophir.
- Hearken, daughter, and see, and incline your ear, and forget your people and your father’s house.
- And the King shall desire your beauty, for He is your Lord, and prostrate yourself to Him.
(extract of the psalm 45 associated to this generation, verse 13 )
- And the daughter of Tyre shall seek your presence with tribute, those who are the richest of the people.
(extract of the psalm 45 associated to this generation, verses 14 to 18 )
- All honor [awaits] the King’s daughter who is within; her raiment is superior to settings of gold.
- With embroidered garments, she will be brought to the King; and virgins in her train who are her companions will be brought to You.
- They shall be brought with joy and exultation; they shall come forth into the King’s palace.
- Instead of your forefathers will be your sons; you shall appoint them as princes throughout the land.
- I will mention Your name in every generation; therefore peoples shall thank You forever and ever.