- The words  of Nehemiah the son of Hacaliah. And it came to pass in the month of Kislev [in] the twentieth year that I was in Shushan the capital.
- There came Hanani, one of my brethren, he and men from Judea, and I asked them about the Jews who had escaped, who remained of the captivity, and about Jerusalem.
- And they said to me, “The remnant who remained of the captivity in the province are in great trouble and reproach; and the wall of Jerusalem is breached, and its gates were burned with fire.”
- And it came to pass when I heard these words that I sat and wept, and I mourned for days, and I fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.
- And I said, “I beseech You, O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God, Who keeps the Covenant and loving-kindness to those who love Him and to those who keep His commandments.
- Let Your ear now be attentive and Your eyes open to listen to the prayer of Your servant, which I pray before You today, day and night, concerning the Children of Israel, Your servants, and I confess the sins of the Children of Israel, which we sinned against You; and I and my father’s house have sinned.
(extract of the psalm 24 associated to this generation, verses 1 and 2 )
- Of David, a song. The land and the fullness thereof are the Lord’s; the world and those who dwell therein.
- For He founded it upon seas and established it upon rivers.
(extract of the psalm 24 associated to this generation, verses 3 to 6 )
- Who will ascend upon the Lord’s mount and who will stand in His Holy place?
- He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not taken My name in vain and has not sworn deceitfully.
- He shall receive a blessing from the Lord and charity from the God of his salvation.
- This is the generation of those who seek Him, who seek Your presence-Jacob, forever.
- Now  it came to pass, when the wall had been built and I had erected the doors, that the gatekeepers, the choristers, and the Levites were appointed.
- And I put Hanani my brother and Hananiah the ruler of the castle charge over Jerusalem, for he is indeed a truthful man, and he has feared God for a long time.
(extract of the psalm 24 associated to this generation, verses 7 to 10 )
- [You] gates, lift your heads and be uplifted, [you] everlasting portals, so that the King of Glory may enter.
- Who is this King of Glory? The Lord, Who is strong and mighty, the Lord Who is a mighty warrior.
- [You] gates, lift your heads and lift up, [you] everlasting portals, so that the King of Glory may enter.
- Who is this King of Glory? The Lord of Hosts-He is the King of Glory forever.
 Nechemiah – Nehemiah – Chapter 1, verses 1 to 6, see also the continuation of the prayer on verses 7 to 11.
 Nechemiah – Nehemiah – Chapter 7, verses 1 and 2